Discovery & Property Cases
Discovery & Property Cases in Dallas, TX
If division of property is a key issue, substantial work may be necessary to protect the rights of a party. Business evaluation, appraisals of various kinds, volumes of paperwork all may need to be reviewed and evaluated.
“Discovery” is the formal information gathering process in courts and it is very time consuming and expensive. We tell every client, when discovery happens, that dozens of hours of work will be required and that the client must usually be very involved in the process. Some clients may prefer that if hundreds of hours of work are needed, that the attorneys do the work, but many clients would rather save the tens of thousands of dollars required for these hundreds of hours of work. Clients who do some of this work themselves still will incur significant charges, but may save even more. Imagine that 100 hours of work is needed. The decision to do over half of this work and enable your attorney to charge for 30 hours instead of 100 may save you, as the client, more than $20,000 in attorneys’ fees and costs.
There are five primary kinds of discovery and these explanations are only to give you a working knowledge of the basic terms. Here are the primary discovery tools:
- Interrogatories. These are simply questions, and they must be answered or objections raised. One simple example, Who has been the primary caretaker for the children and what is the factual basis for your answer?
- Requests for Production. Most commonly these request documents, but can be a request for pictures, hard drives, flash drives, floppies (historically?), tapes; and so forth. Often years of this documentation will be requested. As a general rule you don’t have to provide discovery that you don’t have or don’t have control over. Example, tax forms for the past 3 years.
- Requests for admissions. This is a discovery tool based on making the respondent either admit to a stated fact or deny it, and if they are not answered timely, they are admitted. An example is “Admit or deny that you hit your husband with a frying pan the day before Christmas, 2016”. There may be a follow up to cover this area. To continue our example, “Admit or deny that you have ever hit your husband”. Further continuing, “Admit or deny that you hit, pushed, or shoved your spouse sometime in 2016.” Often attorneys will bracket or surround a point in trying to get an admission.
- Requests for disclosure. These are similar to interrogatories and requests for production, but by statute, they are not subject to objections. These MUST be answered.
- Depositions. Depositions are similar to testimony in court, but usually occur in an attorneys’ conference room or office. A court reporter is present and swears the deponent under oath, and often the procedure is videotaped or recorded. Sometimes these depositions last for many hours or even days.
If you think about the processes described, you should be able to tell why this process is expensive. “Discovery” does not happen in every case, but when it does, be prepared for substantial costs.
David and Goliath
Following 3 attempts to find a law firm to fight for me against one of the most powerful Family Law firm in the entire Dallas metroplex area . I consider myself fortunate to have found Mr Pwoell. He immediately acknowledge the vast fame and popularity of the opposing counsel, but he also reassured me and told me "Don't worry, I will fight for you". This solo practice attorney was a fierce fighter for my every step of the way. Mr. Powell was prompt, aggressive and employed his years of family law experience to make my case. Giving his years of experience his charges was reasonable compared to others of the same caliber . I have no hesitation in recommending Mr. Powell to take on their family law cases regardless who the opposing law firm is. That is why I feel very strong about the title of my review ' David and Goliath".
Mr.Powell is really profesional i highly recomend his work as soon as I went to him with my case we had results faster than I expected.If anyone is looking for a family attorney Mr.Powell is the one I gurantee you will be satisfied.
Professional and Courteous
Joe was a zealous advocate for his client while being professional and courteous. He responded timely and worked to minimize the conflicts.
Quality of service.
In this highly competitive world, more particularly in service industry, quality matters more than anything else. I would expect that my doctor and lawyer will pay personal attention to my problem. It is an utmost need because of its intimate nature and one to one relationship. I was looking for an able, qualified and trustworthy lawyer to help me with some urgent personal family issues. One who could guide me through the legal maze and take my case with person due attention. A close friend recommended Mr. Joseph Powell. During my very first meeting with him I was put at ease by his professional and yet very friendly manners. He listened to my problems very patiently and explained legal position both negative and positive. He offered his professional advice and course of action. I was very satisfied with his demeanour. The case took exactly the course that he described to me through the proceedings that followed later. I would say without any hesitation that I was very satisfied in dealing with him. Mr. Powell's services were beyond my expectations.
Good Law Firm
The law firm of R. Joseph Powell did good work on my divorce and children's issues. The case became expensive but I felt that Mr. Powell did nothing to cause that problem and was sympathetic to that issue.
Joe Powell handled my divorce and there were extensive property issues. After multiple hearings, we ended up mediating the last of it, and the overall result was fair and reasonable.
Integrity, and hard working attorney
Mr. Powell handled a very intense divorce with abuse issues, and his work was professional, supportive, and protective. He could not have been better and he fully resolved my problems.
His work was above expectations.
Mr. R.J. Powell did an assignment for me. He came out with flying colors. His work was simply outstanding. He is an honest and caring lawyer.
Limited Time Offer!
Agreed Divorce & related, $1,200 Uncontested Family Law matters
Law Office of R. Joseph Powell
8117 Preston Road Suite 300
Dallas, TX 75225469-673-0059
Filing fees included. Does not apply to adoption or CPS cases, or complicated cases, but will apply for cases that are fully agreed with opponent signing a Waiver and Decree, plus Petition.
Offer Ends March 1, 2021
Your offer has been sent to your email.
Message Sent. Thank you for contacting us. We will be in touch with you shortly.
|Mon - Fri:||8:30am - 5:00pm|